The perfect bow for the young person looking to experience their first taste of traditional archery!
This wooden bow is handmade with the intention of introducing the younger archer to the exciting world of traditional archery. It provides a smooth draw at a light draw weight for those wanting to learn correct shooting form with the aim of building up to higher poundage longbows and horse bows.
Traditional wooden bow
Total bow length: 55 inches (140cm)
~6.5 inches (17.5cm)
Max draw length:
Are you a beginner to archery/traditional shooting and not sure what else is needed to get started? Please find some initial guidance below. Or for more send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Richie and Georgie, Saxon Archery.
1. Arrows - A bow would be useless without arrows to shoot with. For a wooden bow like this, we recommend Carbon or Wooden arrows. Start with some basic arrows, and then once you're perfecting your aim, consider calculating your draw length and picking the right arrow length and arrow spine, both of which we can advise on.
2. Arm protection - An armguard is a must. This sits on your opposite arm and protects your arm from bruising which can occur when the string slaps your arm after the arrow is released (trust us on this one!).
3. A quiver - Not a necessity, but useful. For storing your arrows and keeping them close when shooting. The most common type of quiver hangs off your belt/waist, but quivers that hang over your shoulder are also available.
4. Finger protection - Repeated pulling back of the string of a bow will strain and damage your finger. Archers will therefore use either a protective glove or a finger tab to protect their pulling finger from injuries.
5. Hand protection - Traditional bows such as this one rely on the arrow resting on the side of the bow, and once in flight the feather of the arrow will graze the fleshy part of your hand between your thumb and index finger. It is highly recommended to place a piece of leather/wear a thing glove, or use a dedicated hand guard to avoid feather cuts.
6. String setup - Longbows require the archer to tie a 'bowyers knot' where the string hooks onto the bow, and to re-adjust this knot over time for consistent shooting. If you are a beginner, please let us know and we will send you the string with a knot ready to go (at a standard 7inch brace height). As you get more familiar with archery/traditional shooting you will want (and need) to eventually adjust this. We are more than happy to help when that time comes, and can even video chat to demonstrate and walk you through the process.
Spend $99 to receive free shipping on your order!